Wisdom teeth, also known as your "third molars" come in usually around the ages of 17 - 24. Many times they come in only partially, sideways or impacted due to limited space in your mouth. If this occurs, your wisdom teeth may need to be extracted.
Common problems associated with wisdom teeth misalignment include:
- Painful, swollen gums
- Crowding or damaging of surrounding teeth
- Possible damaging of nerves and jawbone
If extraction becomes necessary, the team at American Dental Wellness will provide the safest, most comfortable extraction procedure possible. You can choose heavy sedation or general anesthesia; either method will be relaxing and pain-free. Even though many fear getting their wisdom teeth removed, at American Dental Wellness you can expect considerate, efficient dental care from our team every time. If payment is a worry, we can work with you financially to set up a payment plan that fits within your budget as well.
In the extraction procedure and after:
- An anesthetic is applied to the wisdom teeth area and surrounding tissue. You can choose an additional sedation method, such as IV, oral or nitrous oxide as well
- Once you are completely numb or sedated, the wisdom teeth are removed
- If you elected for oral or IV sedation, you will need someone to drive you home
- After the procedure, bleeding and swelling may occur. Apply gauze to bleeding areas and use ice to reduce swelling. You will be prescribed medication for pain as well. Maintain a cold liquid and soft food diet for a few days after, and avoid brushing the extracted tooth area for the first 24 hours
Call your American Dental Wellness dentist at (904) 272-9440 today to schedule a consultation, or if you simply have any questions or concerns we can help you with.